Stop and think for a minute about what makes you feel loved and appreciated. Often we feel most appreciated when someone goes out of their way and uses their creativity and thoughtfulness to do something kind for us.
At Covenant House we challenge you to support us and our youth with this same attitude. We encourage you to go above and beyond a simple monetary donation to do something that will show our young people that someone actually cares. How can you go about doing this?
1. Learn about youth homelessness and trafficking
Look over our website to learn as much as possible about youth homelessness and trafficking and what we can do to help. Also, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to receive updates from us.
2. Share what you learn
Many people are simply not aware of youth homelessness and human trafficking. Gather a group of friends to share what you learned. Increase their awareness of these issues and encourage them to do something about it with you.
3. Plan a fundraiser or event to benefit Covenant House PA
Brainstorm and develop an event that you and your friends would enjoy doing to support us. We encourage you to think outside the box and come up with something new. Contact our development team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (215) 302-7506 to share your plans ahead of time and receive tips and advice for your idea.
Below is a list of ideas to get you started:
- Many of our youth come to the shelter with no extra clothes. Have a fashion show and collect new or barely used clothes to help the youth look sharp while job searching and during their free time
- Young adults gain confidence when they look and smell good. Have a spa party and tell everyone to bring their favorite hygiene products to help our youth stay fresh
- Have a potluck dinner and collect the ingredients (non-perishable) and recipes of everyone’s meals to help stock the cupboards of our youth who move into their own apartments
- Ask your friends to collectively donate a “tank of gasoline.” $50 worth of SEPTA tokens will help us send 23 youth to find jobs
- We have snack time every evening. Bring tasty (store-bought) treats that you typically enjoy in the evening (keep in mind we serve 50 young people every night)
- Any musicians out there? Put together a concert and charge an admission fee of school supplies for those who are in high school or college
- Plan a “Christmas in July” Toy Drive to collect toys for all our former and current residents’ children to receive Christmas gifts in December
- Hold a coat or blanket drive. For so many of our kids, being warm in the winter is a luxury that most of us take for granted. By warming a child’s body, we begin to warm his or her soul.
There are many more wonderful ideas that we would gladly support and look forward to hearing about from you! Again, please feel free to contact our development department at email@example.com or (215) 302-7506.
Back to Get Involved